Dear Commander Community,
In an effort to keep you as informed as possible and to provide you with opportunities to wrap your mind around what the school year will look like next year, I will send you weekly communications with what I know and how we plan to support you throughout the year.
UPDATES and PRIORITIES:
- Collaborative School Committee (CSC) Meeting is tomorrow night from 4:30 to 6:30. Email Tiffany Almon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to listen in and ask questions at the end. Minutes are posted on our website.
- Annual Family Update: The guardian who is the primary contact for ALL students must confirm each student’s registration at John F. Kennedy High School! If you have not already done so, be sure to complete the Annual Family Update in the Parent Portal at https://portal.dpsk12.org/. The Annual Family Update will be available on the Parent Portal starting July 27th. This is step one of our registration process.
- The official start of the school year is now 8/24, and will be remote at least until 9/8 when Superintendent Cordova works with CDPHE and the City of Denver to make a decision regarding rejoining in-person.
- Fluidity in Schedules: We are creating a schedule that will be presented tomorrow night at the CSC Meeting. This schedule allows us to provide our students with almost all of our original 20-21 course offerings, it creates space for relationship building and social/emotional support, and it focuses on getting all students on track for the college or career pathway of their choice. We will be “blocking” your classes by reducing the number of classes you take each semester and increasing the amount of time per period for each class. You will still have an opportunity to take the same amount of courses you would have in a normal school year. This schedule will be consistent whether you are in-person learning, remote learning, or chose the 100% virtual program.
- Remote Learning: We have taken your feedback regarding remote learning!
- You will have live, synchronous classes throughout the school day. With an option to view the instruction asynchronously if you are unable to attend at the scheduled class time.
- We will revise due dates for assignments and the amount of assignments you have.
- We will have a tight communication plan to keep you informed and connected.
- We will have one primary on-line platform through which all classes will be structured and assignments provided. This platform is Schoology. Teachers may still use other on-line resources, but Schoology will be the main platform holding all of the information that you need to know about a class. To learn more about Schoology, view this ENGLISH video or this SPANISH video. More information also found here.
- DPS Virtual School Option: If you are electing to participate in the 100% Virtual School Option, as offered by DPS, you are committing to participating in that program for the full first semester of the school year. Go to dpsk12.org to access the DPS Virtual School option.
- Health and Safety Requirements for in-person learning: In partnership with CDPHE, DPS has identified Health and Safety requirements, including the wearing of masks, handwashing, and other specific notes, that will be in place when we are in the hybrid and full-time in-person learning contexts. Information is available at dpsk12.org.
- Accessing Technology: We are committed to ensuring that every student has the device and the Internet access they need to successfully engage in remote learning. While many of our parents responded to the district technology survey several weeks ago, we will also soon be asking you to confirm whether or not you have the technology your student will need. Chromebooks and Internet access will be provided at request.
Kennedy Priorities as we Take Command of our Future during a pandemic:
- We will ensure physical, social, and emotional health and safety for students, staff, and community.
- We will provide consistent, high-quality instruction and feedback to all students.We will provide clarity, consistency and simplicity for families and students in their home language.
- We will support our students and their individual needs.
- We will ensure the JFK Rejoin plan is feasible and manageable for staff, students, and community.
- We will tighten our focus on EQUITY and the tenets of our vision.
- Here is the link to required Summer Homework also found on our website
- Here is the link to our step by step online Registration process, as well as the dates of our in-person registration. All families are required to register their children each school year.
- Here is the link to information for signing up for Ninth Grade Academy if you are an incoming Freshman
- Here is the link to our COVID Relief Go Fund Me page, donate if you can, and reach out to me at email@example.com if you need support from this fund
Please reach out with questions and concerns. We are here to serve you and we are stronger together!
John F. Kennedy High School