All JFK students now have free access to the only online SAT practice tool designed by the creators of the SAT college admission exam. The exclusive preparation program guides students through test-taking strategies and interactive online exams to help them prepare for the crucial exam required for college entry, which will be administered to all 11th-graders in April 2017. All 10th graders will take a PSAT, or practice SAT, to help them prepare for the SAT they will take in 11th and 12th grade.
To sign up for the free resource, students can link their College Board account through the following steps:
- Step 1: Log in or create a Khan Academy account at SATpractice.org
- Step 2: Follow prompt to link a student’s College Board and Khan Academy accounts
- Step 3: Students sign in to their College Board account
- Step 4 (optional): Grant permission to send your PSAT scores to help customize practice and recommendations.
All DPS high school students as early as ninth grade (13 years old and older) have access to the online program.
The program utilizes a variety of learning techniques – including hints, scenarios and videos – in an effort to take what students are learning in the classroom at DPS, and focus on the skills necessary for college readiness. Instantaneous feedback is provided through an interactive question feature, ensuring effective, on-the-spot learning as students further develop key skills. One of the program’s most popular features is its flexibility as participants are able to access it anytime, anywhere through the online format. Students have the ability to gain a sense of what the experience is really like on test day, with practice sessions performed under simulated time pressure to build their endurance and confidence, while easing test anxiety.
The process is simple:
- After signing up, a personalized plan is developed for each student based on his or her PSAT/SAT results, and if no scores are available, a quick diagnostic test is administered.
- From there, the program custom builds a roadmap based on areas in which the student is excelling, as well as opportunities for growth.
- An additional level of personalization is available with a scheduling feature, which is a plan can be tailored based on when the student plans to take the test. Having this resource available could help families avoid the costly tuition expense that comes along with a training course or tutor.
The state of Colorado transitioned to the SAT platform from the ACT during the 2016-17 school year. As a result of the partnership between DPS and the College Board, additional resources are provided for free to all students, specifically to address the equity gap across race, ethnicities and income levels. The official SAT Practice course was developed through a collaboration with Khan Academy, an organization comprised of a diverse team of content specialists whose client list includes NASA, MIT, The Museum of Modern Art and other renowned institutions.