Sept 28, 2018
Dear JFK Families,
It is with extreme sadness we share with you that one of our students passed away yesterday. This is an unexpected loss for our school community. At this time we are respecting the family’s request for privacy.
Staff and faculty are aware and have been supporting our students today. This includes access to our school mental health providers as well as members of the District Crisis Response Team.
If after talking with your student, you need further support, we are happy to meet with your student. Please reach out to the John F Kennedy mental health team:
- Shea Caballero: School Counselor, Last Names A-E
o email@example.com or 720-423-4341
- Joe Naughton: School Counselor Last Names F-Mars
o firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-423-4351
- Kelly Bravo: School Counselor Last Names Mart-P
o email@example.com 720-423-4338
- Meghan Martiniere: School Counselor Last Names Q-Z
o Meghan_martiniere@dpsk12.org or 720-423-4366
- Anne Walden-Newman: Social Worker
o firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-423-4361
- Sherry Brookes: Social Worker (Tues-Thurs)
o email@example.com or 720-423-4327
- Richard Knight: School Psychologist
o firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-423-4398
- Shirley Sorenson: School Nurse
o email@example.com or 720-423-4358
Please also review the accompanying materials, which provide age-specific information on death and grieving to guide you in this process.
In addition, be mindful of the following signs which may indicate that your son or daughter is having difficulty in the wake of this news, and know that with time, they should decrease. Signs of stress include:
- Most importantly, marked changes in usual ways of behaving, including decline in school productivity or mood changes
- Changes in sleeping or eating problems
- Withdrawing behaviors
- Easily distracted
- Physical symptoms
- Acting out behavior, including aggression
- Passivity or listlessness
Below is a list of additional community resources for support.
Our thoughts are with the student’s family at this time. We will continue to process this sad news as a school community, and again, please feel free to reach out as needed for ongoing support.
Christian De La Oliva