Undocumented Resources


This information was adapted from www.collegeincolorado.org and is not legal advice.  Please research options thoroughly and consult with a qualified immigration attorney for specific information about individual situations.

Attending College

Undocumented students can attend college.  ALL students should prepare for college by taking challenging coursework, getting involved in extracurricular activities and doing community service during all four years of high school.  If you are undocumented, it is very helpful to share this information with your counselor early on in high school.  Counselors will be better able to advise you on your college plan if they know this piece of information.  Sharing this information with your school counselor is safe and confidential and will not endanger you or your family!
Undocumented students can attend Colorado colleges and may be able to do so at a lower than out-of-state rate through the Colorado ASSET legislation.  Click HERE for more information on Colorado ASSET.
Some other states where undocumented students may qualify for in-state tuition are Nebraska, Kansas Oklahoma, New Mexico and Utah.  Students should also research private colleges where financial aid may be more available.  It is important that ALL students keep their college options open by maintaining high academic and achievement standards during high school.

Paying for College

Undocumented students do not qualify for Financial Aid in Colorado or for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  However, there are scholarships available for all students – please complete the college searches listed in the colleges tab of this Naviance account and pay particular attention to any scholarships for which legal residency is not a requirement.
Scholarships and college admissions requirements are very competitive.  It is important for undocumented students to plan, prepare and research their options early.

Other Options

ALL students can earn college credit while still in high school through Concurrent Enrollment and College First.  Thanks to Colorado lawmakers, tuition is paid by the school district, and courses are charged at in-state rates, regardless of the students’ documentation status.  Students who earn 12 college credits before finishing high school are eligible for the College First program through DPS which would allow them 1 additional year at a local community college, tuition-free, following the 12th grade year.  Check with your high school counselor for more information and to participate in Concurrent Enrollment opportunities at JFK or on a college campus.  If no other options exist, students can enroll part-time or take one college course at a time as an alternative.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Deferred Action is a procedure that allows certain non-citizens to stay in the US and work legally, without fear of deportation, for a period of 2 years.  Those granted Deferred Action will be eligible for a work permit, social security card, and certain state ID’s such as a driver’s license.  Deferred Action is NOT the Dream Act.  It does not lead ot permanent residency or a “green card”.  The Denver Scholarship Foundation announced that starting with the graduating class of 2013, students who have been approved for DACA status are now eligible for the DSF Scholarship.  Students who receive a social security number through DACA should NOT use that social security number to complete the FAFSA or the College Opportunity Fund (COF).
For more information on DACA, click here. | For more information on DSF, click here.

Some organizations that will provide assistance and guidance